NILES, Ill. – Imbibe, an industry-leading beverage development company focused on formulating and commercializing cutting-edge products, announced today the company’s 2018 food and beverage ingredient trend predictions. Here are the ingredients and ingredient categories to watch next year:
- Functional Botanicals – Lavender, elderflower, ashwagandha, and curcumin are the next wave of trendy botanical ingredients in beverages. Lavender supports stress relief, and ashwagandha, an adaptogen, helps the body adapt to stressful situations by lowering our cortisol levels. Curcumin (the main active ingredient in turmeric) and elderflower are recognized for their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Mushrooms – Chaga, reishi and cordyceps are the next “it” ingredients from the mushroom family, with an extra emphasis on chaga. They’re adaptogens, rich in antioxidants, and are associated with stimulating the immune system. Chaga is also suggested to support GI health and improve cholesterol levels. Another novel application for mushrooms is MycoTechnology’s vegan mushroom protein PureTaste. MycoTechnology recently secured $35 million in funding to take PureTaste to the market, and a large investment from major investors like Kellogg suggests that innovation with the ingredient is imminent.
- Nootropics – Ingredients like L-Theanine, Omega-3 Fatty Acids, B12 and Ginko Biloba are suggested to support memory, focus, and clarity. These ingredients may be a little niche, but as demand for beverages that improve cognitive function grows these brain-boosting ingredients will be found in more products.
- Collagen – Beauty enhancing ingredients are becoming more mainstream, and collagen is the rising star. Collagen supports the enhancement of hair, skin and nails, and several products featuring the ingredient are hitting the market.
- MCT Oil – Medium chain triglycerides (MCT) are naturally found in coconut oil, and proponents say that it helps our bodies convert energy into carbs faster because it’s easier to digest. It’s also associated with supporting cognitive health. MCT oil is especially prevalent in the sports nutrition sector, but expect it to be called out in other types of beverages as well.
For more information about Imbibe, contact Imbibe at 847.324.4411, or visit www.imbibeinc.com.
Imbibe is a beverage development company focused on the formulation, customization and commercialization of cutting-edge beverage products. We act as a bolt-on R&D function for companies that don’t have one or an extension of the R&D team for those who do. Through this activity, we design custom ingredient systems that drive differentiation for products in all beverage categories.