- Red Bull North America CEO resigns – Selim Chidiac tendered his resignation last week to accept a position as CEO of a gold jewelry brand in the Middle East. Link
- Starbucks Coffee will launch Hint Blackberry water nationwide on March 9. Link
- From Beverage Spectrum Magazine: Slimming chance – How drinks that rev your metabolism can accelerate the bottom line. Link
- ZUN and Kum & Go have agreed to a national program to 11 states, starting in February.
- Tranquila is now available at 250 locations of the Hudson News airport retail network. Link
LAW, POLICY, AND ADVOCACY
- The Coca-Cola Co., Inc. threatened legal action to prevent the Canadian screening of the documentary film The Coca-Cola Case, which accuses the company of being connected to kidnapping, intimidation, torture and murder as a result of aggressive hostility towards workers and unions in some regions, Art Threat reports. Link
- The Food and Drug Administration said last week that the safety of bislphenol-A, a chemical used in a variety of containers including beverage cans and bottles, merited further study but did not require immediate restrictions. Link
- New York Gov. David Paterson proposed a penny-per-ounce tax on sugary beverages, projected to generate $465 million in revenue, for his state’s budget. Link
BRAND MARKETING & PROMOTION
- The Red Bull Air Race will visit Jersey City in June. Link
- The National Milk Mustache ‘got milk?’ Campaign launched an initiative called the “Great Gallon Give” with the help of actor and author Cristian de la Fuente. The program will give away hundreds of thousands of gallons of milk at events scheduled from coast to coast. Families can register to win a year’s free supply of milk at whymilk.com. Link
- WAT-AAH! joined City Year’s “Day of Service” honoring the work and life of Dr. Martin Luther King. WAT-AAH! was the official beverage for the events in New York City and Philadelphia. Link
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has joined The Fuel Up to Play 60 campaign to fight and defeat childhood obesity in cooperation with the NFL and the National Dairy Council. Link
TRENDS AND STUDIES
- Behavioral Pharmacology published research showing that adolescent boys are more sensitive to caffeine than adolescent girls. Link
IN THE MEDIA
- drank recently made its way to the Memphis area, and earned an article from The Commercial Appeal newspaper. Link
- The principal of a Lynnwood, Wash. school said at least five children got and at least three went to the emergency room, after consuming Zipfizz, according to King 5 Television. Link
- Coca-Cola Enterprises will release fourth-quarter 2009 earnings before the market opens on Wednesday, Feb. 10. A conference call discussing these results will be webcast live over the Internet at 10:00 a.m. ET that morning. A copy of the company’s earnings news release will be available in the Investor Relations section of the company’s Web site (www.cokecce.com) under News Releases. The public can access the live webcast through the same Web site.
- Cheerwine maker Carolina Beverage Corp. will donate 6,000 cases of pure drinking water to Haiti through the aid organization Feed the Children, the company announced. Link
- WAT-AAH! announced it will airlift a truckload of its product to Haiti.
- Icelandic Water Holdings ehf, announced that the company donated three tons of bottled water to victims of the earthquake in Haiti.
- Peaceful Remedies, LLC, makers of RelaxZen products, is donating $10.00 per 12-pack to The Red Cross Haiti Relief Fund. All orders purchased through www.thirstmonger.com through Feb. 15 will generate a $10.00 donation in the name of the purchaser.
- In addition to bottled water, donors sent energy drinks to Haiti for humanitarian aid. Link
- Anheuser-Busch Inc. is in the process of purchasing an independent Chicago area distributor, one of the largest in the country, St. Louis Business Journal reports. Link
- The Ogdensburg, N.Y. city Planning Board approved the expansion of the Ogdensburg Pepsi-Cola Bottlers plant so that Dasher Inc. can run a redemption center there. Link
- Sambazon Inc. launched its new premium Antioxidant Elixir in custom, single-serve PET bottles from Amcor PET Packaging. Link
- The government of India has proposed new regulations on energy drinks and probiotic beverages. Link