ATLANTA–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Coca-Cola is heating up its ongoing efforts to promote active living and healthy nutrition choices with an $8.4 million commitment toward active, healthy living programs across the globe.“Nutrition and Physical Activity The 100 Way Program”
In the U.S., the Company will dedicate $5 million to provide 100 communities with new fitness centers for schools. In addition, The Coca-Cola Foundation has awarded $3.4 million in grants to support fitness and nutrition programs in the U.S. and around the world.
Creating Places for People to Get Moving
Working with the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils®and the American College of Sports Medicine, Coca-Cola will place 100 new fitness centers in schools across the U.S. over the next five years.
- The unbranded centers will feature new fitness equipment and provide more than 5 million workouts annually, helping communities put physical activity back into schools.
- The effort expands on a pilot program in California with Jake “Body by Jake®” Steinfeld, former Chairman of the California Governor’s Council on Physical Fitness and Sports and current Chairman of the National Foundation for Governors’ Fitness Councils. More than 1.4 million students benefited from the pilot program.
- Some of the first communities to receive centers outside of California will be in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Washington, D.C.
Supporting Active, Healthy Living Programs
The Coca-Cola Foundation is providing $3.4 million to fund active, healthy living programs across the globe as part of its first-quarter grants this year. As a result, 2.3 million youth and adults will be able to participate in fitness or nutrition programs this year. Organizations receiving these grants in the U.S. include:
- 100 Black Men of America, Inc., 100 Healthy Living Project 2012, $150,000 – This grant will benefit 1,200 young people through mini-grants to seven local chapters to expand the “Nutrition and Physical Activity The 100 Way Program,” and “Youth Movement,” a track and field program for at-risk youth.
- Delta Citizens Alliance, Delta Energy Youth Program, $25,000 – This grant will support a network of daycare centers for children in the mid-Delta region of Mississippi with programming to encourage healthy eating and exercise.
- San Francisco Parks Alliance, Mobile Recreation Program, $100,000 – This grant will benefit more than 1,600 young people through expansion of the Mobile Recreation program at 17 centers.
- Piedmont Park Conservancy, Inc., Kids Get Active, $30,000 – This grant will benefit more than 1 million children through operations and upkeep of the playground and other facilities at Atlanta’s Piedmont Park.
- Young Men’s Christian Association of Metropolitan Atlanta, Inc., Scholarships to Attend Camp High Harbour, $25,000 – This grant will benefit more than 30 youth with scholarships to attend summer camp.
About The Coca-Cola Foundation
The Coca-Cola Foundation awarded more than $70 million to 263 community organizations around the world in 2011 to support sustainable community initiatives, including water stewardship, community recycling, active, healthy living, and education. For more information about The Coca-Cola Foundation, please go to www.thecoca-colacompany.com/citizenship/foundation_coke.html.
About The Coca-Cola Company
The Coca-Cola Company (NYSE: KO) is the world’s largest beverage company, refreshing consumers with more than 500 sparkling and still brands. Led by Coca-Cola, the world’s most valuable brand, our Company’s portfolio features 15 billion dollar brands including Diet Coke, Fanta, Sprite, Coca-Cola Zero, vitaminwater, Powerade, Minute Maid, Simply, Georgia and Del Valle. Globally, we are the No. 1 provider of sparkling beverages, ready-to-drink coffees, and juices and juice drinks. Through the world’s largest beverage distribution system, consumers in more than 200 countries enjoy our beverages at a rate of 1.8 billion servings a day. With an enduring commitment to building sustainable communities, our Company is focused on initiatives that reduce our environmental footprint, support active, healthy living, create a safe, inclusive work environment for our associates, and enhance the economic development of the communities where we operate. Together with our bottling partners, we rank among the world’s top 10 private employers with more than 700,000 system employees. For more information, please www.thecoca-colacompany.com or follow us on Twitter at twitter.com/CocaColaCo.