• O.C. Beverages, Inc. announced it has retained the services of Atlanta Capital Partners, LLC as its investor relations firm. Link
• International Flavors & Fragrances Inc. announced that its Board of Directors has declared a regular quarterly cash dividend of $0.25 per share on the common stock.
• PepsiAmericas, Inc. reported net income of $21.7 million in the first quarter of 2009. Net income in the first quarter of 2009 was negatively impacted by mark-to-market losses and special charges. These results compare to first quarter reported net income in 2008 of $24.7 million. Link
• Anheuser-Busch InBev announced that it has completed the sale of its 19.9 percent minority stake in Tsingtao Brewery Co., Ltd. to Asahi Breweries, Ltd. Asahi acquired the shares from Anheuser-Busch InBev for $667 million.
• Jones Soda Co. announced that the Company’s conference call to review fiscal 2009 first quarter results will be broadcast live over the Internet on Thursday, May 7, 2009 at 4:30 pm Eastern Time. The broadcast will be hosted at www.jonessoda.com and www.earnings.com.
• Cott Corp. posted a first-quarter profit on Friday as the soft-drink maker cut costs and consumers turned to private label products. Link
Law, Policy and Advocacy
• Officials at the Ogdensburg Pepsi-Cola Bottler estimate New York’s “bigger, better bottle bill” will mean an additional $400,000 in handling fees and costs to implement. Link
• A North Carolina State Senate committee endorsed a proposal to keep spring water bottlers from advertising their water as “North Carolina natural spring water.” Link
• Red Bull GmbH and Red Bull North America, Inc. has obtained $2.1 million and permanent injunctive relief barring a California company from engaging in any further sales, importation or distribution of grey market Red Bull products in the United States. Link
• Charles Beck Harman Nicholson, a retired Coca-Cola executive, died Friday at 88 years old. Link
• Frank Kitchel has been named vice president of marketing, Meat & Dairy Flexibles for Alcan Packaging Food Americas. He advances from the position of director of marketing, Meat & Dairy Flexibles.
• Dr Pepper Snapple Group expanded its Venom Energy portfolio with the addition of fruit punch and mango flavors called Death Adder and Killer Taipan, respectively. Link
• Utalkmarketing.com posted its list of the 5 best international Pepsi commercials of all time. Link
• The New York Times Freakonomics blog asked the question “How many people know Coke‘s secret formula?” Link
• A test performed by Canada’s national health regulatory agency, Health Canada, found detectable levels of bisphenol A in 96 percent of canned soft drinks. Link
• A study found that caffeine aided memory recall for already-learned material in rats and mice. Link
• The Chicago Tribune ran an article entitled “Wake-up call on energy drinks,” warning of potentially negative health effects on children. Link
• On Wednesday, June 3, 2009, The Burke Rehabilitation Hospital will honor PepsiCo Americas Beverages CEO Massimo d’Amore for PepsiCo’s EnAble program, a company-sponsored employee diversity network whose mission is “to cultivate a more inclusive environment for people with different abilities and provide support to caregivers.”
• O.C. Beverages, Inc. has established a health panel to evaluate and guide O.C. Beverages in developing healthy beverages. Link
• Tyler Coca-Cola Bottling Co. in East Texas celebrated its 100-year anniversary. Link
• Coca-Cola North America revealed that it will call its new proprietary fountain dispenser entering market testing this summer the “Coca-Cola Freestyle.” Link
• Red Bull is offering consumers in China “a kick in the head.” Link
• Kimball Distributing of Texas agreed to distribute Malava Novocaine.
• Innovative Beverage Group Holdings, Inc. announced that the company has entered into an agreement with Sheffield Distributing of Brunswick, Georgia, to distribute drank. Link The company also announced that 7-Eleven will be selling drank in its stores across the country. Link
• Thomas Kemper Soda Company entered into new distribution agreements with Anheuser-Busch wholesale distributors. New distributors include the Ben E. Keith Company, Silver Eagle Distributing, Del Papa Distributing, and L&F Distributing for the state of Texas. In addition, Union Beer Distributors (an L. Knife Company) will launch Thomas Kemper Soda in New York City. Link
• The Double D Beverage Corp. concluded a deal with 7-Eleven Canada to make Beaver Natural Soda available in Western Canada. Link
• SKINNY NUTRITIONAL CORP. announced the company has entered into an agreement with Gelson’s Markets. Link
• Potencia USA LLC’s Potencia Energy Drink, in association with Bebida Beverages Company, announced a rollout distribution deal with The Oak Beverage company. Link
• Reed’s, Inc. announced that it has formed a partnership with Portland, Oregon-based Maletis Beverage. Link
• This Spring, the Hispanic got milk? campaign and its latest milk mustache mom, Carolina Herrera, announce the Milk Looks Good on You sweepstakes. Link
• VABION LLC announced that 2,500 cyclists will be fueled by the company’s Diesel Energy Stix during the Bike MS Bay to Bay Tour. VABION LLC is a supporting sponsor of the event, scheduled for October 10-11, 2009. Link
• The Coca-Cola Co. is donating $1.1 million to revamp several U.S. national parks and to help launch a recycling program on the National Mall. Link The company will also demonstrate its environmental leadership in Washington D.C. Link
• The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation awarded $3.04 million in scholarships to the Class of 2009 as it designated 52 students as National Scholars with $20,000 scholarships and 200 students as Regional Scholars with $10,000 scholarships. Link
• Vik Venkatraman, Founder and CEO of Star Power, spoke to students at Columbia University on his life story and the pathway to proper ideation. He spoke about how his family and mentors inspired him to take risks, break rules and find self-improvement in defeat. About knowing when not to give up and on innovating in a recession.
• ROCKIN’ WATER brought product to kids in the Appalachian area of Kentucky. Link